Call-to-action (CTA) buttons are the links and buttons that appear on your website and in your email campaigns. The purpose of a CTA is to entice a website visitor/reader to take another digital step towards your organization, helping to drive prospective customers to convert into leads via a landing page form. According to HubSpot, they are one of the most important elements of your lead generation strategy, and they should be used in every element of your marketing outreach. This includes emails, social media updates, press releases, on your website, and in other areas. Calls-to-action can range from simple words on a button to flashy animated designs, but to be successful, a CTA must inspire people to click.
CTA Buttons and Offers
Most often, your CTA will link to a content offer such as a white paper, free trial, ebook, or webinar. An intriguing content offer combined with an effective CTA will help you generate valuable leads. In Hubspot, it’s easy to create and implement buttons or upload your own designs. In a matter of a few clicks, a CTA can be created. Then, with just a few more clicks, the CTA can be inserted into your blog posts, on your homepage, or on your landing pages.
Call-to-action Button Placement
It is important to place your CTA in a location where it's easily visible to your visitors and makes sense for someone to click on it. For example, you might place a CTA to start a free trial under a product description.
Steps for Creating a Beautiful CTA in HubSpot
Creating CTAs in HubSpot is super easy. HubSpot also makes it simple to add a CTA to an email, a blog post, a web page, or a content template. Feel free to play around with them in order to get a good idea of what can be created.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Lead Capture > CTAs.
- Click Create CTA.
- In the slide-in pane, select Custom Button, then customize the CTA's style:
- Button content: enter the text that will display on your CTA button. You can also add emojis here. Your contacts and visitors will see the native emoji style for the device they're using.
- Button style: use the dropdown menu to select a style for your CTA button. If you want your button to look like a regular text link, select Link (No Style) from the dropdown menu.
- Button colour: click the colour picker or enter a custom colour hex value in the Button colour field.
- Advanced options: click Advanced options to customize your CTA's pixel padding and CSS styling.
- If you want to use an image for your CTA instead of customizing the button, click Image Button:
- Click Upload and select an image file from your device.
- Click Browse images to select an image from your file manager. From the slide-in pane, select an image to use it as a CTA button.
- Adjust the Width and Height of the image button. Enter an Alt text for the image.
- When you're done editing your custom button or image button, click Next.
- Now you can configure your CTA options:
- Select External website URL to link your CTA to an external page outside of HubSpot, then enter the website URL in the Enter URL field.
- Select the HubSpot page or blog post to link your CTA to one of your HubSpot pages or blog posts, then select the page or post in the Choose a HubSpot page or blog post dropdown menu.
- Select your Meeting link to link your CTA to a HubSpot meeting link, then select the meeting link in the Choose a meeting link dropdown that appears below.
- Select File link to link your CTA to a file in your file manager. Click Browse files and choose a file, then select the Open page in new window checkbox if you want visitors who click on the CTA to view the image in a new browser window.
- CTA internal name: for organizational purposes, enter a name for your CTA that only you and the users in your account will be able to see.
- Connect a HubSpot campaign: if you want to associate your CTA analytics with a campaign, click the dropdown menu and select a campaign.
- Click Save.
- Your finished CTA will now show at the top of the pane. Click the pencil icon at the top to edit the internal name. Choose one of the following:
- Click Finish to save your CTA.
- Click Create smart version to create a smart CTA.
- Click Create multivariate test if you want to A/B test your CTA.
Steps for Adding a CTA to Your Blog Post, Email, or Web Page
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to your blog, email, landing pages, or website pages dashboard.
- Hover over the blog post, email, or page to insert the CTA, then click Edit.
- Locate a rich text module in the content editor. Then place your cursor at the location where you want to place your CTA.
- In the upper right, click the Insert dropdown menu and select Call-to-Action.
- In the right panel, select the CTA that you want to insert and then click Insert.
- The CTA will now appear in your rich text editor and in your page preview. Click the CTA in the rich text editor to edit its styling or delete it from your content.